Tuesday, November 17, 2009

i went outside.

Saturday night, some of the girls (young ladies, if you will) got together to hang out at the Women's Center. Jonna, one of the midwives, is staying there and invited us all over for pizza and good times. Things got a little more exciting than we had even planned on. Around 8 o'clock, in the middle of a game of "two truths and a lie", Jonna got a call that one of the women in the program was in labor. To read more about the birth, read here. It was a long night, but I rather enjoyed it. We watched a movie. Listened to music. Talked. Got to know each other more. And hanging out around a birthing center, of course we do things like make music videos, check each others hemoglobin, and practice taking blood pressure. My hemoglobin is great, by the way. My blood pressure on the other hand, a little higher than desired.

People told me that exercise is a good thing for high blood pressure (apparently, exercise is a good thing in general). I'm just not a person that is super concerned about my health. BUT I suppose it wouldn't kill me to try to exercise a little bit. So Paige and I partnered up to try running together. Then Vivien and Corrie decided they wanted to run as well. It looks like my high blood pressure has motived all the young ladies in Village Theodat to run. Paige and I planned to run yesterday. It was a good plan. But I forgot to set an alarm... and then she ended up having to go to school earlier than normal. So, it didn't work out. It was a darn good plan though. However, this morning Corrie showed up at the guest house. Vivien had stuff to work on, so it was just Corrie and I that gave this whole running thing a shot. We mostly walked. We ran a little bit. And we weren't out for long. But, I went outside. I think that's a good start. When I got back, Vivien asked "but aren't you motivated now? wasn't it exhilarating?". Hum. I thought about it for a minute. No, not really. Now don't me wrong, I'm glad I did it. And I think I plan to continue it. I just don't see how people actually enjoy running. I don't know though, maybe I'll enjoy it more once I can run and breath at the same time.

7 comments:

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Now you can join the others in the Disney Marathon.

Or, maybe not!

Kathy Eden said...

Yeah, running & being able to breathe at the same time is always helpful to actually enjoying running :o) Trust me...I know!

That's a great start though!

Corrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Corrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Corrie said...

my thoughts exactly. maybe one of these days we can do more running than walking. just maybe.

T and T Livesay said...

her bp is insanely high for a 24 year old. she must walk/run. or else.

CG said...

Hmmm.... Perhaps now's a good time to stop subsisting on peanut butter crackers and energy drinks. :)

I've also tried running. Can't say I'm in love with it at all, but it does get better with time.

That video made me smile even though I had a root canal this morning. Way to go! Make more!