Sunday, September 26, 2010

living in limbo

September 26, 2010. That's today. I cannot believe this year is so close to it's end. I'm not sure really where time went. I guess where it always goes- just gone.

In some ways, I feel like I've been wasting the past several months. I mean- they haven't been a waste, but I'm not sure I've lived them to the fullest. I know I haven't. Because I've been living in limbo. Limbo- an uncertain period of awaiting a decision or resolution; an intermediate state or condition.

I came back to the states on February 12. And ever since that day, I've been waiting for the day I'll return to Haiti. Originally, I thought I would only be in the states for a few weeks. I had a few trips planned, California, Grand Cayman, Indiana, swing by Florida and head back to Haiti sometime in March. That was my plan. I stayed in Florida through mid-June. After a visit to Michigan, I planned a quick trip to Evansville end of June. That's where I've been ever since. My plans to be somewhere for a few weeks always turns into months. And yet, I have not been in one place for more than 4 months for almost a year now (since November of last year when I returned to the states to work the holidays and return to Haiti on Jan. 11).

I am a pretty flexible person. I've had to be. Living in Haiti, I've learned about patience. I've learned about surrendering control. I've learned about trusting God. And I've learned about those things even more-so since the earthquake. A few nights after the quake, I remember talking about that with a few of my friends. How we have absolutely no control over things. We can make all the plans we want-- but ultimately we have no control of making sure they actually happen. There comes a point though, after you've made plans, scratched those plans and made new plans, and have to scratch those and revise yet again, when you just want to put your foot down and yell, "ENOUGH!". I've wanted to yell that a few times. I've wanted to yell, so the whole world could hear and witness my bold statement, "I am making these plans, and this IS how it's going to happen. THIS is when I will return to Haiti, and I will NOT change that date. THIS is where I'm going to live and THIS is how it's going to happen.".  Sometimes, I want to yell that. For the world to hear... but I guess really, for God to hear. I want Him to know that I feel I've been patient long enough. I've been flexible long enough. I've given Him control long enough.  I know how foolish that is.  Why would I want to trade in the plans of One who is all-sufficient, all-knowing and all-powerful for my own fallible ways and plans? I wouldn't. I don't. I just miss Haiti so much. I miss my life there. I don't just miss it, I ache for it. But I will continue to trust Him.

1 comment:

Lena Just Lena said...

Praying for you as you wait on God's plans and timing. Hugs, Lena