Tuesday, February 8, 2011

the meganary.

I believe it was in Grand Cayman last year when the name "meganary" was first said. A group of Three Angels ladies were on vacation in the Cayman Islands, thanks to the Monfils and their condo there. It was Shannon, Colleen, Gretchen, Leah, Janelle and myself.

I'm not sure how the conversation went. But I suppose someone used the word "missionary" in reference to me. I'm not really a fan of that word. I hope the word "missionary" doesn't take that personally. I just don't like being called one. And really, I don't like labels at all...  I feel like calling myself a missionary is putting a label on me.  I don't mind calling other people missionaries. Lottie Moon was a missionary. Adoniram Judson was a missionary. Elisabeth and Jim Elliot, they were missionaries. But, it just doesn't seem right to put my name, Megan Haug on that list.

I'm just a 25 year old single woman that lives and does mission work in Haiti. Aren't we all called to serve others and share the gospel? Whether you live in America, Haiti, China, Africa or the Cayman Islands (Hey, that place was amazing... I've considered moving and making that my mission field!!). So really, I'm not doing anything special. I'm not doing anything extraordinary. And if you knew me or worked with me during that first 1 1/2 I was in Haiti... you would know that! I'm just an average Joe. No different than any other believer. Well, okay... maybe different... but I'm certainly not any holier or stronger in my faith.

So that's the first reason I don't refer to myself as a missionary. The second is because that word comes with many stereotypes! We automatically assume a missionary is going to be these certain things. And most of those "missionary" things... are things that I am not. I don't wear long skirts... or even skirts at all. I have short spiky hair that I recently had dyed. I have tattoos. I enjoy a good beer. I probably don't talk like a missionary, either. While, I think the idea of a missionary is changing and developing... I mean, look at the Livesays or the Mangines, they aren't your stereotypical missionaries either!.... I still don't like the label.

And, so as a result of my protest to being called a missionary... I was dubbed the Meganary. I guess that just means I'm my own type of missionary?


3 comments:

The Lloyds said...

I so get that! When we started down the path of ministry in Haiti the word "missionary" totally jacked me up. Lottie Moon came to my mind as well. I still giggle or roll my eyes when I hear someone refer to Brian, my husband, as a missionary. Just weird! Love that you are a "meganary"! Love what you're doing. Keep it up!

Kathy Eden said...

"Love" the hair!

Unknown said...

Love your blog and your attitude. My wife (75) and I (69) also dislike titles and find conventional Christianity inapropriate in the 21st Century. We live in South Africa. It gets hot. In spite of this a number of men still go to church in old fashioned tailcoat suits. The sort the missionaries wore in the 1800's
I've got a little poem you may enjoy. It's all about Christmas in South Africa. How we cope with the hot summer days. If you want it, ask and I'll send it. In the meantime, keep up the good work
Blessings
Jim & Phyllida Strickland
Johannesburg,
South Africa