Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How I got here.

...I sat and listened as a co-worker told me about her previous and upcoming trips to Haiti. She told me stories and showed me pictures. I've heard other people talk about their mission trip experiences. I've had other opportunities to go. But God placed Haiti on my heart. I didn't even know how much at the time. I just thought, "hey, here's an opportunity in my lap, so I'm just going to take it." But it was more than random happening. I thought it was just a one time trip to Haiti, but it changed and influenced every part of my life.
After my first trip to Haiti with Three Angels Children's Relief in August 2007, I took two more trips, one in October and then again in February. Then June of 2008, I did something crazy. I quit my job, told my roommate we couldn't renew our lease like we planned, packed my bags and said good-bye. I drove across the country to California. Why I did that is still a mystery to me. I lived with a friend and her family and got more involved with Three Angels. And really, part of my hopes all along were that I would get the chance to do a long-term stay at the Orphanage. While in California, I was able to help out some. Mostly data entry type stuff. Making sponsorship cards. Helping with the newsletter. While my desire was to be in Haiti at the orphanage, I knew that there were so many other ways I could help. I had watched the leaders of TAs put so much time, work, and money into what they do. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes, I was happy to be any small part in that.
And then it came. The opportunity for me to serve as a temporary House Manager at the orphanage. I arrived in Haiti September of 2008. I worked at Three Angels for a year, then transferred to Heartline Ministries, working with processing adoptions. I was in Port au Prince for the earthquake Jan. 2010. That changed things. Like, everything. :) I spent a little over a year in the states building the foundation for a new ministry, Leve Project and now live in Cayes Jacmel, Haiti. God has brought me this far, so I will trust Him with my future! 

1 comment:

CG said...

Ah, updates! And two of them! I only knew bits of the story of how you got there. I had no idea you'd lived with Shannon.

I can only imagine the crazy amount of work that goes on behind the scenes. It reminds me of housework. You clean and clean and clean and then you look around- and it doesn't look much different. You're hot, you're tired, and you can feel the difference- the air is brighter after a good dusting, the vacuumed carpets feel just a touch softer, the sparkling dishes are in the cabinet instead of the dishwasher. To any outsider it would look like nothing was accomplished. And it would hurt if someone came to your house early, then again after you'd cleaned up, and asked if you'd been sitting on your butt all day.

I think that happens a lot with TAs & Haitian adoption in general. People are looking for outward movement. They don't see it. They assume people are lazy or uncaring, even vindictive. It's sick! While those very people have been doing so SO much noone has any idea about, are tired and worn and in need of encouragement.

Hm, I have no idea why I just wrote all that. Seriously, it came out of left field. But I'm going to leave it. Because He guides us.

I want to thank you for your dedication to TAs, Megan. You, Shannon, Gretchen, the Nons, & more... You all rock and I praise God for you!

I am excited to see the plans He has for you!