Wednesday, June 23, 2010

it's all pretty much the same

Since I've been back to the States, I've been traveling a lot. 8 states to be exact. And I've realized, it's all pretty much the same. Okay, so each place does have it's own "identity"... LA is Hollywood. You think of glamor and fashion. Florida- the beach. Vacation. Where I was at in Michigan... it was all country and farming.  When I drove into Evansville Saturday evening, I looked around-- what makes up Evansville?  A lot of people associate corn fields with Indiana. There are a few in Evansville, but it's really more city. I looked around at the buildings to see what we had.... and that's when I realized it's all pretty much the same. Sure, each place looks a little different, but underneath it all, it's the same. Grocery store, clothing, jewelry, restaurant, car lot and repeat. These places all sell things to us, giving us what we need (and more) to live. People work at these stores, so they can make money so that they too can buy what they need to live. No matter where you live- whether you work on a farm or you make movies in hollywood- you or a family member has a job, so you can make money, so you can buy food and clothes and car insurance and pay for your house.  While those are not bad things, necessities mostly....is that it?? Is that all there is?  Are we left on this earth to simply live and get by?  No, of course not. And I think we all know that. But how often do we actually live like there is a greater purpose?? 

2 comments:

John & Perla said...

There is nothing new under the sun. - Ecclesiates.

Elisabeth said...

you. are. so. cool.