Friday, December 10, 2010

i don't like this time of year.

I know, I know... how could I say that??  Yes, it's Christmas. Everybody loves Christmas, right? And isn't it kinda anti-Christian to say you don't like Christmas??

Well, let me clarify.

I love the birth of Christ. I am thankful He came as a baby, lived a sinless life and died on a cross. A death I should have died. I am humbled by it. I am in awe of it. The story of Mary, a young virgin, and her to-be husband Joseph, their journey to Bethlehem, the stable, the wise men... it's a beautiful story. One that I think we often become too familiar with and let it lose it's beauty.

But, what I don't like about this time of year... everything else. The cold, dry weather. The snow. The traffic. The frustrated shoppers. Shopping. I really dislike shopping.

I went to Target today with 4 or 5 things on my list. I parked in the back of the parking lot. Some people park in the back because they don't mind walking and it's too hard to find a close spot. That's part of it. But more than that, it's because it's crazy up close. Cars backing up and pulling in and driving in circles and pedestrians walking all over the place. I just don't like it. There's too much going on. And then, I go inside. So many people. Crowds. I don't like crowds. I mean, where do all these people come from?? Are they holed up in their houses for the rest of the year and just come out at Christmas?

And then back to the story of Christ. Shouldn't we be thankful for His birth & death all year long? There is nothing wrong with setting aside a day as a "memorial" to a certain event. We do that for a lot of things. So I'm not hatin' on it. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a special day or season set aside to reflect on the birth of Christ. But, we shouldn't limit it to that day. And.... is that even what Christmas is really about? I don't mean what it should be about... I mean, for the general, vast majority of people... is Christmas even about Christ?  Should I feel bad about not particularly liking this time of year when overall, it's not even about what it should be about?  We have these cutesy little sayings... people use them as yard signs and bumper stickers. "Jesus is the reason for the season" and "Keep Christ in Christmas" and such.  Isn't Jesus the reason for.... EVERYTHING?? Shouldn't we keep Christ in .... EVERYTHING??

No matter how many signs or bumper stickers we put up, do you think Americans will, as a whole, just drop their shopping list and say "Ohhhh!!! Now I get it!". (also, as a side note, I'm NOT saying don't fight what you believe in simply because things seem impossible to change. fight for justice and truth regardless if you ever see a change from it).  I'm simply making the point that even those of us who do celebrate the birth of Christ this time of year, we're still out shopping too, aren't we??? We're still baking and cooking and figuring out who's house Christmas will be at this year and worrying about if there will be enough table space and calculating how much money we have left over to spend on the crazy relative and getting the kids cute outfits to wear for the Christmas play they're doing at church...etc.

Like me, for example. I posted a video for the Advent Conspiracy on my facebook wall. Right along with buying Christmas presents for my family and giving them a wish list for myself.

I'm not trying to convince you to not like this time of year. I simply, overall, don't. And I think, when I first realized that I just don't like it, I felt bad. But I don't now. I love that Christ came to earth. He is THE reason. He is everything. But I dislike shopping and crowds of people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Kathy Eden said...

I totally understand what you're saying Megan.