Thursday, June 30, 2011

PAP vs. Jacmel

I'm not in Port au Prince anymore, that's for sure. That has pros and cons. Mostly pros. :)  I love living outside of the city! However, there are a few things that I'm still getting used to. In Port au Prince, there are huge, nice super markets everywhere. Okay, not everywhere, but there are a lot of them. Pre-quake, the Caribbean Market was just a walk away from me. You could get anything at the Caribbean Market. Oh and then there was Mega Mart!! It's like a Sams Club (they even check your receipt when you leave!). And those were just the two markets I frequented the most. But there were other options.

There is no Caribbean Market here. Or anything even close. The closest market is probably a 10-15 minute moto ride. Which isn't bad. And I'm getting use to it. My selection, that is. When you are use to the Caribbean Market... this place has got nothing. I mean nothing. So in the market department, the city spoiled me.

But I love where I live. Depending on where you're at in the city, and if city power is on, you can still see the starts pretty good in Port. But nothing like it is here. AND nothing beats star gazing while laying out by the ocean. Have I mentioned lately that if I walk across the street, I'm on the beach? Cause I am. :)

And I love the village that we live near. Tavet. It's nothing like walking through the city. I mean, obviously, cause there's grass and trees, not buildings. But the people are different. Sure, I'm still the white person. That will never change. But I feel like I get called "blan" at least slightly less often. And instead of everyone coming up to me asking for me to give them something (again, not that that doesn't happen) but more often, people are offering things to me.

Port, it was nice knowing you. We had a good time. But I'm sorry. Our relationship is over. I've found something better. Known as Cayes Jacmel, Haiti!!



No comments: