Monday, July 22, 2013

out beyond ideas


I used a 10x10 canvas and started by drawing the lines in pencil. I had to mix some paint to come up with the colors I wanted and I love how they all turned out! I debated different ways to put the quote on the canvas, in the end, I chose to paint it on white paper and cut around each word. Glued them on and went over the whole thing with mod podge. I also painted the sides of the canvas black. This might be one of my favorite pieces I've made!! 


I read this poem for the first time recently and instantly loved it. It's exactly where I'm at in life. Realizing that there is something more beyond the ideas of wrong and right. It's a dare to look beyond right & wrong, good & evil, black & white. To me, it's about not letting our differences divide us but instead embracing our commonalities as human beings. 

The full poem is this: 

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. 

When the soul lies down in that grass, the world is too full to talk about. 

Ideas, language, even the phrase "each other" doesn't make any sense.

~Jelaluddin Rumi

No comments: